Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, December 4, 2008

Im a Truck Driver - Get me outta here

Well its 07:15 and the the sun has been up and over the concrete jungle that is the Bronx NY. My booking time was 05:00, i was stood at the shipping office at 04:45 and ive just gone for a walk round to see if anything is happening (it isnt).

I have to say i hope i never have to deliver to this particular customer again. I got here yesterday afternoon and parked up. i thought i would be cheeky and ask if they would tip me. They gave me a horrified look as though i had just asked a nun if she pole danced.............

I took that as a "No" but they were very helpful in informing me that there were 3 good restaurants in the center of the complex so i dropped the papers back off at the truck and went in search of food.

I found the first one............ and it was shut.
I found the second one........... and it was shut.
I found the third one............ yep you guessed it.

So with a heavy heart and a light tummy i returned to the truck and contemplated supper.

Quarter of a bottle of diet coke.
An inch of water in my water bottle.
Half a box of Ice Breaker mints.
Full box of Ice Breaker sours.

Well i am no dietician but even i can tell you that not all the major food groups were covered in that little lot, so it was time for a film then try and get some sleep.

So i awoke this morning feeling rough and groggy, went and handed my paperwork in and asked if they were calling me onto a door by cell or CB. The answer was simple, find an empty door and back on it. Fantastic, there was no line, nowhere to park in the yard and battle with the half a dozen other drivers (mostly New Yorkers) to get tipped.

Well i got onto a door and basically thats it, or should i say thats been it for the last 2 hours, at least i can rest easy in the knowledge that i have earned my $100 New York bonus, or "Depression Allowance" as i prefer to call it.

I am so looking forward to getting back over the George Washington Bridge and get back out into the clean air of rural USA. Why on earth would so many people want to live here, high crime, high pollution, high stress, high congestion, high toll costs. I was listening to the CB this morning and now i can understand why there is so much racial tension in the city, and that was just the CB.

2 comments:

  1. First never ask for anything in New York, Just expect it. Whattaya mean your not going to unload me now! Kind of like that. Work on the accent a bit. And never forget it is still NY, if you really want to be on your way it wouldn't be unheard of to offer up a "tip", well ok a bribe. It's not like you would be questioning their integrity in the least, $20 maybe, $50 and I promise you they would have unloaded you in a flash.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jim

    i made a discovery today, everybody is an asshole, somebody even called me one over the Cb and im not even from NY.

    I feel so honored, its as if they adopted me as one of their own. I was in the middle lane when this other asshole swung into the hammer lane breezed pased and cut me up. Then called me an asshole for being in his way.

    I told him he was an asshole for the speed he was driving and he told me i was an asshole for driving too slow............

    Funniest thing i heared was a conversation between 2 truckers...

    truck 1 - Some body give me directions to blah blah.

    truck 2 - certainly driver, head over to the George Washigton, into the express lane etc etc etc.

    truck 1 - thanks asshole .........


    its great fun and i dont think anyone really gets offended...

    if they do then theyre assholes anyway 8-)

    ReplyDelete