Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Confined to Canada 1 (bad start)

H&R in the snow

One huge snow shifter

Well its my first run after the Christmas break and seeing as our passports have been sent off to the CIC to be stamped and whatever else they do, i am not allowed to leave the "Great White North".

So after Santa has done his "prezzie giving thing" and all the turkey had been polished off, Lyndons thoughts turned back to cruising the highways. I phoned in and was told i was collecting a load from Calgary and taking it to Montreal, 4153 kms 1 way just to get me back into the swing of things.

I checked out the weather forcast and learnt that the weather all the way thru was to be on the whole "cold, white and shitty". indispersed with "cold, white and shitty". and later on going back to "cold, white and shitty". Looking ahead into the long term forcast we could expect it to be (yes you guessed it) "cold, white and shitty".

Okay well that solves one little problem then, no need to pack the Hawaian shirt, flip-flops or the surf board.

Well the day rolls round that must load up and head on out, i had a last minute reprieve when the load wasnt ready so it was an extra day at home, woo hoo !!!

The following morning we threw my gear into the car, took a slip slidey drive up to H&R and Jan dropped me off. I recieved my instructions via the magic talking brick (my veh-icular mounted computing wotsit) and went to look for the empty trailer to take North.

I pulled in front of it and backed up to about 2 foot away so i could check it over.

Aagh !!! bald freaking f*****g, b********g, some-of-a-birching tire, aaargh !!!

(Its good to vent sometimes)

Thankyou thankyou thankyou to the driver(s) who couldnt be bothered to pre-trip their trailer or even post-trip the bloody thing. This tire must have been like that for weeks, how many drivers have been dragging that thing round illegally.

Anyway i reported it and was told to take a different trailer (as i was working against the clock) So i wrote out a defect report for the bald tire (took me less than 2 minutes) and dropped it off in the shop.

I run round to get my new trailer, checked it over, found it to be okay, backed under it and did a check tug to make sure the jaws of my 5th wheel had grabbed it.

As i pulled away (err hang on that shouldnt happen) i realised i wasnt connected. No problem i thought so i went back again, and it still wouldnt connect.

I pulled away and checked the 5th wheel, the pin and the trailer again and i couldnt find anything wrong. I backed onto the trailer next to it and it connected perfectly so there was nothing wrong with my 5th wheel.

I phoned in and explained what had happened and that i couldnt find anything wrong, the shop went thru the checks i should have done (i had already done them)the verdict was "Open", dont know why it doesnt work, it just dont.

So it was back to the origional trailer, bite the bullet (it was half way thru the afternoon by now) take it round and get the tire changed and take that one to Calgary.

Got to Calgary and it was dark, oh yes and the load wasnt ready, i wasnt really bothered now so i pulled the curtains and shut down for the night.

Tomorrows another day !!!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lyndon, So a s--t happens here in Germany aswell, so your not alone. Highlander.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ski how are you, your now proberbly thinking back to your army days being called that. Believe it or not i googled MV St Brandon just to see if it was still operating in he falklands and came across your blog. One of your photos (the one with the RAF shirt in the background) is taken right in front of my ex door at JHSU, i may have even taken it lol. Anyway you are thinking who the f**k is this??. You may or may not remember me but i arrived at JHSU in 1990 not long before you left i think. My nick name was Johno, i arrived with Brad, Berni and shorly afterwards Daver. Remember?. We was the NIGS that arrived, the first NIGS to ever arrive at JHSU as it was normally a second tour posting. I read in your blog that JHSU was the best army days of your life, well the same goes for me. We had a very similier career in the army (i must have been following you) i have been a hooker on the St Brandon, Gulf, Bielefeld and like everyone else N.I. JHSU has changed a hell of alot now its more like a proper squadron now,(NOT GOOD) erm let me think who you might have known in no order bill Bradick (Stick man) Saulty(now a copper west mids)rodge Hall (also a copper) Brads now a RSM. Titch Taylor (Bus driver in Leeds)TY Hall, Dorris Day, Rolly Stinson, Beny Bennington and many more but my head as gone blank!.
    Anyway how your life has changed, you seem to be happy and doing well. Good luck and if you do remember me say hello Later

    ReplyDelete