Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Thursday, June 5, 2008

Brothers of the Highway - Children of the Wind







Awoke next morning and headed to San Antonio crossing the State line into Texas about 2 hours into the journey. One thing surprised me about Texas, there seems to be a steady warm wind blowing all the time, a bit like the Chinook in Alberta but it never stops. They eat a lot of Chilli-beans down here so I wander if its connected.

Stopped off at a shop and bought the latest George Strait (see title) and the latest Big & Rich albums, I also got an audio book called "11th month, 11th day, 11th hour" by Joseph E Persico. It’s a 5 disc book about the last hour of WW1 from the point of view of the average soldier.

What a fantastic book, even in the last 30 minutes of the war, the officers knew the armictice had been signed but still sent thousands to their deaths, they were looking for last minute glory, career advancement and even promotion, wow that made my blood boil.

A regiment of black "Doughboys" sent over the top when everyone else was stood down. Its really made me see the Allied Top Brass in a different light, to them it was a giant game of Chess, to the foot soldier in the trench (British, American, Canadian, Australian, Kiwi, German, Austrian, French) we just cannot even begin to imagine…………………….

Read it or listen to it if you get the chance.

Anyway back to the story……………………………………

Driving across Texas to San Antonio was never ending, eventually got to the TA and pulled the curtains, heck I slept well.

Next morning I woke up, made the bed and opened the curtains, and was greeted by a sight that made me sick to the very pit of my stomach……………………

It was a Lot Lizard walking (lurching towards the truck) and it was the roughest thing I have ever seen that could stand on 2 legs. The lipstick was worn off, the make up smudged and she must have had a busy night because she squelched when she walked. And it looked as though she had somehow got some icecream stuck in her hair.

And she walked up to the cab and tapped on the door, I could see the lips moving but I couldn’t hear what It was saying as the window was up (tightly). I just shook my head at what ever she was saying, her response was a hand gesture to lower the window, this I did to about 2 inches.

She asked me if I wanted any company, smiling at the preposterous thought I shook my head again and said no.

Then an amazing thing happened, she asked me to buy her a soda. I couldn’t help laughing, here she is turning tricks all night, obviously been a busy little tinker and she wants be to buy her a soda.

If she's got a dry throat then…………………….. Actually no, lets not even go there !!!

Well after squelchy had slithered off, I fuelled up and headed down to Laredo, got down there and made the delivery.

After that I went back to the Flying J and got 2 hours sleep then got a phone call from American dispatch saying scoot over to Hooooo-ston and get the Moon Pickles.

Well after another night in a turnout I turned up at the Port, Freeport but I only found one, and discovered my load wont be ready till tomorrow.

The last little leg of today was me driving round here to a truck stop on the middle of Hillbilly land with 24 hours to spare, no hot food and an over active imagination.

Tomorrow I collect bananas and take them back t Winnipeg, this is one interesting trip, and I've added New Mexico (sorry again H&R) Texas, Colorado, Oklahoma & Kansas to my list of States visited.

4 comments:

  1. I have been reading you blog for some time. Read you were driving in Texas around San Antonio close to where I live.

    First comment: Authentic Texas chili is made without beans. Adding beans was some conspiracy concocted by advertising Yankees from New York.

    Second comment: If you are ever around the San Antonio area again and want some "Hot Food" from somewhere else other than a truckstop, here is a recommendation.

    Try the Bill Miller's BBQ on IH-10 heading east from San Antonio to Houston. Take exit 607 in Seguin Texas and the BBQ joint is located on the south side of the interstate. There is plenty of Truck size parking. Plenty BBQ brisket, chicken, sausage and ribs.
    And to answer your question I do not work for them or get any kick backs for the recommendation.

    Tron

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tron

    Okay you got me with the beans and ive made a note of the restaurant.

    By the way you live in my new favourite state, im heading back up into Oklahoma as we speak and i will miss Texas.

    Sorry about the two birds.

    Lyndon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Lyndon, that wasn't ice cream.....

    Just thought I would say um "howdy"

    Happy Truckin!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Howdy Terry

    I understand you about the icecream, too early in the morning for that.

    It must have been that "cream of Cock" soup i took a photo of when i was in Canadian Superstore (see a previous post).

    Im just a naive Englishman i guess

    hehe

    ReplyDelete