Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Sunday, July 6, 2008

36 hours to kill






Ok its time for an update again, the lat instalment left our intrepid Cascadia pilot catching some zzzz in a turn out in Iowa. Well not much out of the ordinary happened between there and the border, i drove 11 hours and stopped in another turnout, this time in a place called Broadus in Montana.

By coincidence, Broadus is just under 11 hours from the Canadian border so the next morning i saddled up and headed north. On the way up i was chatting to Kev and Lisa on the 10-4, they were already at Sweetgrass but were stuck in customs (sorry i shouldnt laugh)

Anyway i got to the border and had to go over to the broker for some paperwork, luckily for me i was done and dusted in less than 10 minutes and bade Kev and Lisa a cheery farewell. When i got back to my truck (on the other side of the border) 8¬) i took a few pics on full zoom then off i went.

20 minutes later i nearly got my come-upance (is that really a word) when a kamikaze bambi nearly wrote of the front of 2148. Luckily i was on the ball and the ABS enabled me to swerve passed him while standing on the brakes...................

So that was my latest trip, i macroed in to let me reset then straight back out again and i got my wish, i got 36 hours off then im going down to Waterloo in Iowa, i like that run, nice and simple, drive like the clappers, quick turn round and back to Canada.

So what does a hard driving Cascadian (i like that term) do for 36 hours while the Detroit Diesel cools down........................

Well Jan picked me up, we came home and had a BBQ. Next morning i cut the grass while Jan pulled up weeds, then we went to Canadian Tire and spent another small fortune on garden tools and "Feed N Weed" for the lawn. We spent all day in the garden cutting, watering, attaching chicken wire to fences and re-arranging the railway sleepers to how we want them.

When we took over this house the garden was a mess, the grass was about a foot high and more weeds than lawn. I have cut it every week and Jan and I put the feed N weed on it, its had 3 doses now and its looking pretty good, we are getting rid of the vegetable patch and laying the whole lot to lawn, i dont think it will be in shape till next year.

Anyway Jan and I are sat in the dining room with sore backs, sore hands, sore feet, actually everything is sore, and what isnt sore is just numb. I think i might have to ask H&R for someone to wind the legs up on the trailer tomorrow morning, and someone to lift me up into the cab.

Well we have done enough today and we finished off by cooking supper on the BBQ and washed it down with ice cold cranberry juice................................

1 comment:

  1. Monday at noon and i'm leaving Grand Forks to head back to Iowa, I'll keep an eye out for any Cascadian's I see on the way. I'm not promising the roadhouse in the middle of the week but maybe we can work something out for you. you still got my #?

    ReplyDelete