Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Connecting In Connecticut










Okay then team, we've been burning some serious rubber, the second part of this multidropping extraviganza is taking us to Connecticut on the Atlantic coast and were going via Milwaukee, this is turning into an epic adventure going from ocean to ocean…. Country to country… and time zone to time zone.

So the it was time to go so after saying our "fare ye well's" it was time to point 2148's bow into the wind and set sail for the Promised Lands.

We were making good time as we scorched thru Chicago, down under the Lake, across Indianna and climbed back steadily towards Toledo. We made a 15 minute stop then pressed onwards again towards New York.

When people hear "New York" they almost always assume you mean the City not the State.

Let me tell you a little thing about that dangerous little word "Assume"

Never assume anything……………………….

"Assume" is a word that makes an "Ass" out of "U" and "Me"….. Think about it.

Anyway we crossed the beautiful State that is New York and eventually appeared out of the other side in Connecticut……………………………..

Here's another thing, I never knew there were 3 "C's" in Connecticut, isn't that amazing, I don’t think my life will ever be the same again, or will it?

Okay so we got to Connecticut and we saw the C, oops sorry I meant the sea, just in case anyone was wandering, yes its just like on the TV, all wet and wavy.

Once we were unloaded we got a message that we were to get a backload from Philly, sorry I don’t know how to spell Philadelphia, which was going to Montreal. That sounded like fun as I had never been to Quebec before and I now had the chance to use my extensive knowledge of the French language.

I was going to write (my extensive knowledge of the French tongue, but I know you filthy minded people out there would leave rude comments…………………………..)

Anyway my knowledge of French extends to the following statements:

Shut your mouth…………

And

Open the window………….

Oh yes and I know how to describe a window cleaning cloth…………

Shammy leather……………

I have been in Quebec nearly a day now and as of yet I have not managed to find a way to use any of my extraordinary linguistical talent.

I also know how to tell you it is one o'clock which can be useful up to twice per day but I don’t know what it sounds like when someone asks you the time, I can only hope that they point to their wrist and they ask me anytime between 12:55 and 13:05.

Oh yes I almost forgot, to get to Philly we had to drive straight thru the centre of New York, Adrian was a little nervous of driving thru Cities so I thought it would be good practice for him, arnt I kind mwuhaaahaaahaaa ! (that was an evil laugh)

So we crossed New York, saw the Empire State Building, took loads of photos and drunk some coffee and ate some dogs (that’s hot dogs to the uninitiated, not real dogs).

So now I've drunk coffee in New York, which makes me some sort of trendy globetrotting international travelling man, don’t laugh I bet you've never had coffee in New York before, especially not with hot dogs.

The girl behind the counter said she loved my accent but she still charged me for the coffee and dogs.

And while were on the subject of "me", who can say they have driven a big rig down the New Jersey Turn Pike with their arm out of the window playing Alan Jackson songs on the radio. I can although I did have to wind the window up as it was raining and my arm got wet.

I am now sat in Montreal and I'm going to get some sleep as we pick up our load in 6 hours and run it straight into Calgary.

Talking about "me" and coffee, I have also drunk coffee in Montreal……………

Being a trucking man I take my coffee strong and black, I chug it down and ask for more, I have diesel in my blood and caffeine in my veins…….. Grrrrrrrr !!!

Well okay I obviously put a bit of Splenda in it and you cant drink coffee without some of that nice creamer in it (non fat of course, you have to watch the cholesterol) and maybe a little French vanilla and a choccy biscuit…………………………………………….

Seeing as I was in Quebec I sent my dispatcher a message in French………………….

And guess what, she replied in French, ha-ha, what a good sport.

"Merci Debbie, mon petit cuir de shammy, ouvrez la fenĂȘtre"

8 comments:

  1. Hi, this is turning into quite a trip must be about 3000 miles by now. one question how did you get a load from Milwaukee to connecticut... I didn't think Canadain trucks could pick up and deliver in the US? Any way safe trucking its only 2255miles back to Calgary !

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry Bud

    Rewrote it so it made a little more sense.

    Lyndon

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah make sence now

    safe trucking

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi lyndon is that a Sirius Satellite radio you have on your dash if it is does it pick up radio 2 lol i asked steve if you could come with me on my first trip he said fine sort it out closer to the time keep on truckin mike

    ReplyDelete
  5. 1..Does any of this make sense ???
    2.. Ive drove down the New jersey turnpike but with my window open as it was sunny...so there blaaaaaaaaaaa
    3. Did the New York too,State and city,had a coffee and saw a bear on the interstate,,,so blaaaaaaaaaa

    ReplyDelete
  6. er Graham

    You're scaring me !!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Mike

    yes it is and noyoucant, only Radio 2.

    And sounds good with the mentor trip, should be fun.

    Lyndon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyndon you are quite a renaissance man, multi lingual and international traveler. Me the ugly American just mutters explatives towards them to get them to speak English. Je t'aime Quebec

    ReplyDelete