Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Saturday, April 5, 2008

Saved From The Desert






Here's a little story of the day i met my boss, yes i mean the big boss, and guess what, it happened today.
I went in work this morning, threw my kit into 3045, pre-tripped her then went over to get my paperwork.

I am going to Minneapolis then down to Mason City, my load is in Calgary so i am taking an empty trailer to one of the factories then bobtail up to the Calgary yard then head east as i am crossing the border at Pembina which is just south of the 'peg (Winnipeg)

Okay i was sat outside the washout waiting to go in when i was told that a truck had to jump the queue as it was an urgent job. 10 seconds later a beautifully restored 1946 Kenworth cabover comes into the washout thru the exit door.

I backed off slightly to get out of the way, grabbed my camera and dived inside to try and get a photo or two. The driver had dismounted and was stood to one side while the wash team did their stuff. I went over and commented on the truck and struck up a conversation about it and also asked the driver if he would mind parking up outside so i could take a few photos.

The driver commented that he knew who i was from this blog and when it was washed he parked up outside so i could get the pics and he even took one of me in front of the truck.

I said thank you and went to put my truck in the wash, when i returned i was talking to some other drivers and i asked if that other driver was an H&R driver as he was using H&R facilities.
One of the drivers smiled and said thats not a driver thats the owner, thats Al Foder, the big boss of H&R Transport.

Apparently i went a little pale..............................

The truck is a 1946 Kenworth that was rescued from the Arizona desert some years ago and has been a restoration project and is now shown at fairs. It has never been used as a working H&R vehicle and apparently when it was discoveed as a derelict, the desert conditions had helped to preserve the bodywork and there was only one rust patch which was on the rear of the cab.

12 comments:

  1. That sure is a beautiful truck. 1946, wow... It's nice to know that the boss is into restoration. This is a passion of mine, but with Military vehicles. My ultimate object of desire is an M35A2 "deuce and a half" with a LDT465-1C engine. I want to get one when i get to Canada. I would love to see that Kenworth though. Looks like he has spent a LOT of money doing her up!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Theres a place in the states that sells all the military vehicles, might be worth a visit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very nice! I can imagine the look on your face when you heard who he was. haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. for all of you who like antique working trucks here is a great site. they have members from all over the world, and hold many shows across north america every year. wheels of time the society magazine is also a great read and worth the membership cost.
    http://www.aths.org/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Curt

    I know what you mean, luckily for me the camera was safeley in my pocket.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Jim

    I noticed a truck very similar to this one on your site, same paint job.....

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a truck,can i ask why dont you have the same mudguard configaration on the truck's you drive.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Dunno Kev

    Money, fashion, ease of repair.

    Your guess is as good as mine.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool truck!!...you are always just in the moment,hehe!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Out of 5 trucking companies I think ive only ever met one BOSS boss. Saw him daily, it was a small company.
    Company owners should all wear purple zoot suits and walk with canes. Just to avoid such confusion.

    Any idea what that blue knob is, next to the parking break knobs?


    p.s. Thanks for the link up there!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Aaron

    Its the ejection seat button.

    Lyndon

    PS. Dont know, i'll try and find out. I know Mr Foder reads his blog so maybe he could tell us himself.......

    ReplyDelete
  12. Javi

    I have this knack of being in the right place at the right time saying he wrong thing.....

    ReplyDelete