Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Friday, February 22, 2008

Who the hell is Lyndon ???

First day at school i think


The Apprentice Meat Technition

The Explorer

My Best Uniform

Me as a "Hooker"

And this is me hooking

MV St Brandan


Vince bringing his girlfriends home

Tonights lucky girl

I only did what it said on the washing instructions

Saddam pulled out of Kuwait when i sent him this pic.


Hey Mum, Look what i turned into !!!


Well the blog is a year old now and I think it is a good time to tell you all a little about me, where I come from and what bought us to where we are now.

Well it all started one cold winters night in a land far, far away where the traditional greeting was "ah bin yer ay, 'ar I know ar 'ay"

There was a cry, a shove and a few choice swear words and baby Lyndon was delivered unto the world, kicking and screaming and probably clutching a corn-dog.

I think the doctor said" Ugly little trucker isn't he?"

So they knew even at that early age they knew I was destined to be a Highway Driver, forever destined to roam freely along the Highways and Bye-ways, delivering chilled food products to anyone who was prepared to pay the price.

So there it was, January 31st 1965, I was born to Leons and Muriel Lomanovskis, a little bouncing baby blogger.

But even before that…………………………………..

My Dad came over from Latvia (Google it) in 1948, it’s a long story but in a nutshell, when the German Army stormed thru Latvia in 194'whatever, all the young lads were drafted into the German military, my Dad was sent to the Luftwaffe and promptly despatched to the Russian Front where he manned an 88mm anti-aircraft gun. During the first attack the gun was blown up and destroyed, my Dad survived but was wounded and had his eardrums blown out so he was hospitalised, while in hospital he caught scarlet fever and never returned to the front line.

As the German war machine was pushed back into Germany, my Dad obviously got moved back too and in the meantime the Russians liberated Latvia then promptly occupied it and it got absorbed into the USSR. His meant my Dad could never return home to his family (he's never seen his family since), so he become a displaced person in Germany along with so many other Latvians, Lithuanians, Estonians and many others.

The Allied answer to this problem was to ship them all out to either Australia, UK or USA and offer them permanent Visas, my Dad chose UK.

Well he moved to Winey near Oxford and as he was a farmer by trade he worked a s a farm labourer but as time went on he decided to move to Birmingham and learn a trade, so off he toddles, gets a job, gets lodgings and married the landlord's daughter, there you go, job done.

Unfortunately my Mum hasn’t got such a colourful past, apart from marrying a Latvian immigrant who moved from Witney to learn a trade, when they got married they bought a house in a place called Coseley in the West Midlands and guess what, 54 years later they still live there, doing their thing and both as happy as Larry.

Well as for me………………….

Grew up in Coseley, left school and joined a meat processing company as an Apprentice Meat Technition (ha-ha I still cant spell it) but always ha a yearning to join the military, I was an Scout and an Air Cadet as a youngster, joined the Territorial Army as soon as I was old enough and by the time I was 18 I had joined the Regular Army, turned my back on Coseley forever and young Lyndon was off and living his life.

I really enjoyed the military life although I was a little bit of a rebel and did my fair share of getting into the trouble in those early days, it usually had the same end result, stinking hangover and in deep shit again, but it was fun.

I joined the Army as a Combat Driver in the Royal Corps of Transport, did my 3 months training at Buller Barracks in Aldershot (intake 151) and after that they shipped me off to a foreign land called Yorkshire to try and teach me to drive trucks, once this was done it was back to Aldershot for another week of bullying then they shipped me off to Bielefeld in Germany and to 36 Squadron, 10 Regiment.

During my 4 years there I was lucky enough to do 2 tours of Northern Ireland, first as an Infantryman, patrolling the streets and the second time out of uniform. I also had many more interesting jobs including patrolling the "Berlin Wall" and guarding "Nukes".

My next post sent me to RAF Odiham back in Blighty when I joined the Joint Helicopter Support Unit and I became a "Hooker". My 2 main roles there was preparing and hooking the under-slung loads for Chinook helicopters and also preparing tactical landing zones for various types of helicopter. This was my favourite time in the Arm and I was sad when I had to leave.

During this time I did 2 tours of The Falkland Islands, the first one was based at Mount Pleasant Airport and the second one was again out of uniform and based on board the cargo vessel MV St Brandon, I enjoyed both tours but the one on board the ship was absolutely fantastic.

Next it was back to Germany to Lubbecke where I joined 54 Sqn RCT and didn’t even get time to unpack before I was dispatched over to Saudi Arabia to help kick Mr Hussein's ass out of Kuwait, again this was one of the highlights of my career, I had a great time and got a great suntan. People asked me what it was like to live in the desert for 9 months, I say it was like being on the beach 24-7 except that the sea goes out a long way.

I started writing to a girl while I was out there, her name was Jan, can you guess the rest……………………………………………….

After my time in the dusty stuff I got a really shitty posting to Minden in Germany so I changed trades and become a Military Railwayman and within 2 years of changing trades I was running their training wing. I stayed there, living in Monchengladbach till I got another shitty posting to that same Squadron that was in Minden except that now the were back in UK just outside Oxford.

By the way Luke was born at this time at RAF Wegberg, just a few miles away.

I turned up at the main gate and just new I wasn’t going to stay there long, everything there was just crap, I didn’t like anything or anyone there and to be honest I went out of my way to cause trouble every chance I got. I got into a huge row with my troop sergeant and it was an unrecoverable situation.
In the end I had to ask for an interview with the Colonel t explain the situation. He basically said I had to put up with it so the same day I resigned, after 13 years service I just walked away.

I was supposed to work a years notice but The Army released me 4 months early (I think they were glad to be rid of me LOL) those last 8 months were interesting, my troop commander would have nothing to do with me and my Troop Staff Sergeant had given up, like I said I hated everything about the place and that included them.

So on that fate-full Friday I drove into the barracks in Civvies, went straight to the clothing store and dumped my uniforms on the counter, then drove round to the Sqn and asked in the office if they wanted all the spare stuff I had accumulated over the years, naturally they said yes so I drove into the hangar and emptied the contents of my boot………………… on the floor.

I got back in the car and with a wry smile on my face, drove off the base without even looking back.

And there ended Lyndon's military career………………………………………….

Monday morning I donned suit and tie and joined Toys R Us as a trainee Assistant Manager.

Two years later I changed ties and joined Tempo Electricals as a Manager.

When they went bust (not my fault) I changed ties again and become a salesman for DFS selling sofas.

When they threatened to fire me for being crap I went over the road selling Toyotas.

Ha ha, I was even worse at that so I dug out my truck licence and went on the road.

I did agency work for a few years and loved it till I got to Wincanton's, I liked it there but the agency lost the contract so I got a job with them directly and was with them when I overheard Jon Webley and Nick Woods talking about moving to Canada, that was last January.

And I think you all know the rest………………………………………….

11 comments:

  1. Thanks for the insight into your life, seems you've led a very exciting one so far. I read your blog all the time even though I'm not a trucker, maybe some day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had your back every step of the way during the first Gulf War. From Japan at least, somebody had to stay and defend the place. My military career ended much sooner than yours, 4 years and I had had all the shit I could stand and went trucking directly. First and only occupation I have had.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Tom

    Thanks for the comments, i have to agree i have really enjoyed my life.

    Once we get Brad Pitt to agree to play the main part we can go ahead and start filming the biography. Stephen Speilberg was only on the phone to him this morning so hopefully the project can start in the spring.

    We are having Coseley recreated in Los Angeles and the Iraqi war scenes are being filmed in Blackpool beach once we clear up all the donkey shit.

    Lyndon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jim

    Thanks buddy i really appreciate that.

    You get some great postings in the American Army.

    Lyndon

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Lyndon,

    What's with the SAC shirt hanging up? Are you on an all arms training course?

    I did 8 years and it was the best time of my life. I keep having dreams of being in. I really miss it, but I was chatting to a guy the other day who came back from Iraq a few years ago. He said it was a nightmare going to scoff as you had to dodge the RPG's. He told me it's crap now. By the way my last three are 007...:-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Andy.

    I was at the Joint Helicopter Support Unit, it was a unit made up of both RCT Drivers and Movers and RAF Movers.

    We were all togged up as one of the lads was getting married. i had to laugh at the RAF lads in their parade uniforms, they look like postmen.

    My apologies to any RAF out there but you really do look like postmen.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I quite fancied getting into JHSU. I also tried to get into the TDU unit and the RLC Display Team, but was not offered either posting. That's when I signed off. Pity they don't give you more choice or I would have stayed in... I tried to re-enlist a few years back but they said I was TOO OLD!!! I was 36 then???

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lyndon, Glad you enjoying life in Canada - I spent two tours in the FIO responsible fot loading the Brandon. I was the Mover - had a grerat time both times. joined Colerene in 1984 - wasn't a ten week wonder (sorry mate) In the process of leaving the army after 24 years (Reached WO2) and now working at the Port of felixstowe. Happy days

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yep

    happy days.

    Id love to know whatever happened to the crew of the St Brandan.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Saint Brandan is still operating down in the Falklands. I was the Mate onboard there for a few years in the late nineties. Some of the crew I sailed with had been there for years. The two Captains had both been with the ship since her early days in the Falklands, and I wouldn't be at all surprised if they're still with the ship now. I certainly remeber having some good times in the ships bar!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just heard the Brandan is on her way back after Gardners were unsuccesful in the contract .Roddy and JOhn Mac were still on board and I bumped into Chris Butters who is on one of our chartered ships - Gazellebank

    Sad to see the old lady leave the island and would strongly suggest they keep Roddy and his team available as he went through creeks not even on the charts!!

    ReplyDelete