Remember folks the last post is at the top. To start at the beginning try looking HERE at the bottom of the page.

Monday, November 24, 2008

Oh s***t, left my camera in the truck


Aagh i just realised i left my camera in the truck and its got all the pictures on it, bugger, bugger, bugger, bugger !!!

Oh well never mind, before i tell you about my latest trip i have to tell you about something i did last night, unfortunately there were no witnesses so you will have to take my word for it.

I had just dropped my trailer in the Calgary yard and was helping another driver sort out his trailer while i waited for my load asignment to get me down to Lethbridge for a few days off. The paper holder was broken so i had to find somewhere else to stash the paperwork. I tucked the papers into where i was going to stash them and thought it was a good idea to just phone the night shift and let them know.

Anyway i was in a bit of a rush because i was awkwardly parked and also nature was calling so it was getting all a bit stressfull.

Anyway the phone was ringing away for about a minute and i was getting a little impatient, now seeing as i was on my own and obviously no-one was in ear shot i had a litttle private rant at the phone.

Unfortunatly as i starting screaming at the phone i didnt realise the dispatcher had picked up the phone and was listening to everything i said.

We laughed about it later but it was a bit embarassing.

Anyway back to the trip.....................................

As you know i got back from Quebec from my last trip and had a few days off. This time i was going to Detroit so i looked at purchasing a bullet proof vest (only joking- no offence to anyone from Detroit so dont shoot me)

This was a dream job, the trailer would be waiting for me in the Lethbridge yard so i just hook and run. I turned up at 13:00, threw my gear in the back, pre-tripped, scaled and run for the border. I flew threw the border, into meat inpection and 30 minutes later i was heading south then west.

The timings were all perfect, driving the max, resting the min and got just outside Motown for the night before. Next morning i trundled in and joined the queue to unload.

What i saw over the next few hours i thought was pretty shocking. It started with a knock on the door..................................

I was asleep on the bunk and i woke with a start...............

A scruffy black guy was looking up through the window, at first i thought he was a lumper sending me to a door so i wound the window down expecting to recieve some instructions, instead all i got was a sob story about homelessness and slow work down at the marketplace.

I told him i had no cash and he sauntered off.................................

15 mintes later the next one appeared..................................

Then i had a phone call from the lumpers and reversed onto a door.....................

And another 2 beggars came round.

As i pulled off the bay, this guy parked his truck about 20 feet in front of me, jumped out of the cab and walked over to me.

Ah, i thought, he needs directions, but i was wrong, he wanted me to buy flags off of im to buy wheel chairs for veterans.................. does anyone ever believe that crap.

Im as patriotic as the next person and i am a veteran myself but i dont think that money would be spent on wheelchairs, just another scam.

Anyway i saw the flags and i thought, that would be nice in the window, it was only a small stars and stripes on a cocktail stick but i wanted one for the window.

So i said, yeah go on then i'll have a flag off ya.

Anyway his little face lit up and he offered me a hand full of flags so i handed over a dollar bill.

He looked at me, looked at the bill, looked at the flags then looked at me again.

"I can only accept $10's and $20's" he said.

"I can only offer $1's" i said.

"Those flags are accounted for" he said.

"Do you still want that dollar" i said.

So i gave him his flags back, minus 1 coz i had paid a dollar for it.

He looked at me as if to say, i need that flag back.

I smiled and said "nope, i paid a dollar for that, its mine"

He shrugged and walked off, got back in his truck and drove off.

When i drove back out to the freeway i counted another 3 beggars, it was amazing.

5 comments:

  1. It surprises you that there are beggars in Detroit? It's so bad there even the heads of the big 3 are begging. You're lucky none of then flew up in their jets and tapped on your window.

    ReplyDelete
  2. it wasnt so much that people was begging, it was the number of them, i think its probably the worst place ive seen so far.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They should just push Detroit into the river. It's never coming back.
    Population has been on a steady decline for decades, same as Toledo, Cleveland, and other "rust belt" cities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. he see your stil having fun wish you nice hollydays maybe see you next year ill be back hahaha
    ronnie

    ReplyDelete
  5. have a nice holydays and see you soon ill be back ronnie

    ReplyDelete